Red onions are often used in cooking. It has a pleasant color, rich taste. Onion Red Baron - one of the most famous red varieties. It can be grown in any climatic zone. Characteristics of the variety and its cultivation features are presented in this article.
The culture matures in about 90-100 days. The root system is strong, well developed, so that the onions can grow successfully even during droughts. Onions grow by weight of 50-150 g, the maximum weight is 200 g. The onion has a rounded shape, slightly flattened in the area of the tail and rhizomes. Color onion burgundy with purple tint. The scales are dense, red-violet, tight to the head, which helps the bow to be stored much longer.
Color of onions claret with violet outflow
The feathers of the Red Baron onions are dark green, with a slight waxy bloom. The taste of the onions and feathers without bitterness, weakly. Dry substances in the composition of 13.3%.
Characteristics of onion varieties Red BaronRead also these articles.
- Watermelon Chill
- What is useful melon for women and men
- Altai melon variety
- Rabbits of meat breeds
The red baron onion variety is popular with farmers. It not only grows quickly, but also has a pleasant taste. And what characteristics are inherent in it?
- Short term ripening.
- Unpretentiousness to the ground.
- Resistance to diseases (peronosporosis, root rot, Fusarium) and pest attacks.
- Commercial quality and transportability.
Red Baron onion feathers dark green, with a slight waxy bloom
- Productivity from a square of landings to 3 kg. With 500 g of sev get on average 10-15 kg of large heads.
- Onions are well kept until spring, without loss of taste.
Features of onion sowing seeds
The landing bed is prepared in advance. It is best to choose a place where there is a lot of light and the land is not marshy. While digging in the soil is added peat. About 2 buckets of peat are needed per square meter. You can also add a glass of wood ash and half a bucket of humus. Fertilizer is applied to the site for 2 weeks before planting a seed or sowing seeds.
Planting is carried out by seed or sevke. Seeds are grown from seeds in the first year. And in the second year it is planted to produce large onions. However, in the southern regions it is possible to grow large onion seeds from seeds a year. This result is achieved due to the short ripening of the Red Baron.
Features of sowing seeds of Red Baron seedsInteresting! If the onions are grown for the feather, while digging the land for planting, you need to add 1 tablespoon of potassium nitrate to it. And when you need to get large bulbs, the same amount of superphosphate is added to the ground.
Before sowing, the seeds are hardened in water (+ 50 ... + 60 degrees), then they are placed in a refrigerator for a day. An hour before sowing, seeds are treated with a weak solution of potassium permanganate and, if desired, sprayed with Epin growth stimulant. It only remains to dry the seeds, and you can use them for sowing.
Sowing of seeds is carried out at the end of April, when the return frost will pass. On the garden make ditches up to 1.5 cm deep. The allowable distance between the rows is 15 cm. After that, the earth is watered and seeds are sown at a distance of 1-1.5 cm. When the seeds are laid out, they are sprinkled with earth and covered with a film so that shoots appear earlier. The first shoots can be seen after 2-3 weeks.
Planting a Red Baron SettleWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How many bees live
- Phytophthalosis potato
- Budennovskaya horse breed
- The best meat breeds of ducks with a description and photo
Most often Red Baron onions are grown from seedlings. It is much faster, easier. Sevok can be bought in a specialty store. 3-4 days before planting, sevok is sorted (by size) and moved to exclude any damaged or diseased bulbs. Then the onion must be soaked for 12-15 hours in water (+ 35 ... +40 degrees). If desired, you can soak it in a solution of potassium permanganate for 1 hour. Before planting, dry the seals so that the scales are dry.
Planting a Red Baron Settle
Planting onion sets is carried out when the temperature is set at + 10 ... +15 degrees outside. If you plant sevok later, the final harvest may be bitter and not very juicy. If you plant onions ahead of time, it will give a lot of greens, but the bulb will be small.
Ditches for landing become necessary length. The depth of the grooves is 3-4 cm, the distance between the rows is 20 cm. The sevok is planted with a distance of 8-10 cm so that it is how to develop the head in the ground. After planting sevka, it is covered with earth and watered.Interesting! Onion Red Baron contains a lot of ascorbic acid and antioxidants. It is good for culinary processing and does not burn your eyes too much during cleaning, cutting.
Onion care Red Baron
Growing onions Red Baron provides several treatments for the culture.
- Watering is carried out as the top layer of the earth dries. Usually this is done about 1-2 times a week, not more.
- After watering, the ground is loosened, so as not to be taken in a dense crust. The same must be done after the rains.
- Weeds break out as they appear.
- If necessary, the bow is thinned. This applies, above all, seed planting, because the seeds are usually sown densely. If planted sevok, and at the proper distance from each other, thinning is not required.
After watering the land is loosened
- Disease treatment is carried out at the beginning of the season and in the summer if onions are sick. If you do not want to use chemicals, you can apply folk recipes - herbal extracts, wood ash, a mixture of sand and naphthalene.
- Growing involves timely feeding. When there are 3 feathers, you can make a solution of mullein, diluted with water in a ratio of 1:15 or superphosphate (1 tablespoon. Per bucket of water). Then, every 2-3 weeks supplements are made with potassium sulfate (1.5 tablespoons l / 10 l of water) or the same superphosphate (1 tablespoons l / 10 l of water). From mid-July, fertilizing can no longer be done so as not to harm the root crop!
Onion harvesting and processing
The Red Baron onion harvest begins in mid-August. By this time, the feather should already be yellow and lay on the ground. Harvested onions in dry weather, then the crop will be stored better. After the onion has been dug, it is laid out to dry for 2 days.
When the upper husk dries, the roots and feathers are cut from the onion. Then you can decompose it to dry under a canopy or in a dry room for 15 days. During this time, the upper husk dries completely and the onions will be suitable for laying into storage. Put it in bags, nets or stored in bundles - as convenient.
When the upper husk dries, cut and dry under a canopy or in a dry room for 15 days
Onion Red Baron is suitable for fresh consumption and processing. During frying, boiling, drying and even freezing, it does not lose its taste.Interesting! Despite the red color, the Red Baron onion does not stain other ingredients of dishes, for which it is highly valued in cooking.
Reviews gardeners on onions varieties Red Baron
Opinions of gardeners about the Red Baron onion variety are presented below.
- Tikhon Sokolov: “Onion Red Baron and his wife have been growing for more than a year. In our site, the crop grows every year (from chernushki) and large heads. The variety is popular with taste, color and the fact that it can grow in any conditions, the main thing is that the sun Enough. The bulbs are medium in size, easy to clean and store. It's not difficult to grow, the main thing is to feed on time, otherwise the pen will start to turn yellow ahead of time. "
- Angela Nikitina: "For the first time I tried to grow this onion with seeds more than 5 years ago. I grew a little onion, but very beautiful, good. Then I planted the planted me to get a head, and it also disfigured well. Since then, I plant it every year. Not much I grow it because the family prefers white onions more than usual, but for me the Red Baron is better. He’s not spicy or sweet - the perfect balance of taste. "
- Andrey Vasilyev: “He used to plant mostly white onions, because he always believed that red is more capricious. But oddly enough, Red Baron is easy to grow, and it does not yield to the white fellow’s taste! Culture grows quickly, gives a big crop and almost does not get sick. especially. Because I don’t like chemical processing, and I avoid it to the last, as they say. As for taste, Red Baron is good for salads and processing - a very good grade! "