Cabbage Moscow Late - a well-known variety, which gardeners often choose to grow in the garden. It has a high yield, pleasant taste, marketability of heads. This article provides a detailed description of this cabbage and the method of its cultivation.
Cabbage Moscow Late was bred by Russian breeders when crossing several varieties that are zoned in the suburbs. To obtain high quality yields, it is recommended to grow the Moscow Late variety in the Central, North-Western, Volga or Far Eastern regions of Russia.
Culture refers to the late species, which is clear from the name. The period of development of the plant from germination to harvest is 120-140 days, depending on the care and the place of cultivation.
The rosette of leaves is large, volumetric, with a diameter of up to 90 cm, which is important to consider when planting
The rosette of leaves is large, voluminous, with a diameter of up to 90 cm. This is important to consider when planting, so that the plants do not interfere with each other’s growth. The leaves are large, on the leaf plate there are small, but frequent wrinkles. The color of the upper leaves is gray-green with a waxy coating, and the leaves are white in the section. Matured heading tight. Petioles long, rare veins. The weight of ripe cabbage is 4-6 kg on average, but there are champions under 15 kg! The inner stalk is short or medium in size, and the outer one is rather long.Interesting! On sale you can find two varieties of this variety. Moscow Late 15 and 9. Moscow Late 9 cabbage was obtained from the first variety with marking 15 and has a higher keel resistance. The rest of their characteristics are identical.
Characteristics of cabbage Moscow LateRead also these articles.
- Currant Yadrenaya
- Fertilizers for flowers
- Temperature modes of quail eggs incubation at home
- Pinot Noir grape variety
The advantages and disadvantages of cabbage Moscow Late are presented in the characteristics.
- The grade is used for cultivation on private, small sites and in the industrial purposes.
- Cabbage Moscow Late grown in open ground. For greenhouses, it is not suitable.
- There is resistance to keel and most other diseases.
The color of the upper leaves is gray-green with a waxy bloom, and in the section the leaves are white
- Heads may crack, but this rarely happens.
- Heads of presentation.
- Transportable qualities are average.
- Yield per hectare, according to reviews of farmers, reaches 6-12 kg per square planting.
- It is stored, under proper conditions, for about 3 months.
- Use is universal.
Features of the Moscow late landing
To grow cabbage Moscow Late can be seedling method or seed. But the seed method of planting is chosen, as a rule, in the southern regions, where the warm period of the year lasts a long time. The seedling method is more popular and is used everywhere.
Rassadny method of growing
Planting seedlings on a permanent place is carried out according to the scheme 60x60 cm
Seeds for seedlings sown around the beginning of March. First, they are soaked in water (+70 degrees) for half an hour, then washed under cold water. Sowing is carried out in a common container to a depth of 1 cm. Between seeds, a distance of 5-7 cm is left. Seeds germinate at a temperature of +23 degrees, but after the sprout appears, it is better to reduce the temperature to +17 degrees maximum so that the sprouts do not stretch and the root system developed normally.
Planting seedlings on a permanent place is carried out according to the scheme 60x60 cm. It is important to wait until the earth warms up, otherwise the shoots will freeze and development will slow down.Important! Cabbage grows best on black soil or sandy soil. The acidity of the land should be at level 5. If it is higher, add lime or dolomite flour before planting cabbage.
Seed planting method
Sowing seeds directly into open ground is carried out from the last days of April
Sowing seeds directly into open ground is carried out from the last days of April. They are buried in the ground by about 3 cm, not more. The distance between seedlings is 40 cm. Initially, you can sow 2-3 seeds per well. When they germinate, 1 is left - the strongest sprout, and the rest are transplanted or removed. After sowing the seed is to cover the area with a film. This will create a greenhouse effect and seeds germinate much faster.
Care for cabbage Moscow LateWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Milking machine for cows
- Sprouting grapes cuttings
- The best varieties of tomato cream
- Breed Muscovy duck (Indo-Hound)
Care for cabbage should be according to the rules, otherwise you can not expect a quality crop.
- Cabbage Moscow Late requires regular, moderate watering. It is necessary to moisturize the ground so that it is soaked, but not swamping, otherwise root rot will occur. Usually, 1 irrigation per week is enough, during drought you can make water every 3 days. Up to 3 liters of water should be consumed per head.
- After irrigation, precipitation, it is important to loosen the ground, so that it is soft, fluff. At this time, weeds are uprooted and burned off-site or added to compost.
It is necessary to moisten the ground so that it is soaked, but not swamping, otherwise root rot will occur.
- Top dressings do 2 times a year. The first time you need to make fertilizer 3-3.5 weeks after planting seedlings. Organic matter is used - 2 kg of humus per 10 liters of water. Under the bush pour up to 1.5 liters of the resulting solution. The second feeding is done when the heads begin to form. 10 mg of water is taken 20 mg of potassium and the same amount of nitrogen. Under the head of cabbage should go up to 2 liters of solution.
- Mulching is not necessary, but desirable. Cabbage is less likely to be sick if you cover the earth with a thin layer of sawdust, compost or similar mulch.
- To prevent the cabbage from falling to the side and not cracking, it is recommended to hold a regular hilling.
- Breaking off the lower leaves can be carried out after the cabbage reaches a mature age. This procedure eliminates decay, prevents the appearance of disease. In addition, the plant will be more power to start the formation of a head.
Diseases and pests of the variety
Cabbage varieties Moscow late is resistant to many diseases. Even fungal diseases, it is very rarely sick. If there are concerns it is possible to carry out the treatment (prophylactic) with special preparations, but usually gardeners do this only in case of signs of illness. So, from diseases you can use such drugs as Fitosporin-M, Planriz, Fundazol, Albit, Gamar.
Butterfly does not like treatment Bordeaux liquid - 10 mg per 10 liters of waterInteresting! In order to prevent slugs from spoiling the cabbages, you can mulch the area under the bushes with walnuts, eggshell, eggshell or husk of sunflower seeds. But from the cabbage butterflies can help simple tulle. They are covered with cabbages and pressed to the ground on each side so that it does not rise from the wind.
Of the pests, the plant is most often attacked by butterflies, flea beetles, and aphids. From fleas can apply a solution of potassium permanganate (20 mg / 10 l of warm water). Butterfly does not like treatment Bordeaux liquid - 10 mg / 10 l of water. Aphids disappear when spraying cabbage "Assistant", "Inspector", "Alpha Super" or similar preparations. Colloid salt (50 g / 10 l of water) also helps her well. Treatments are carried out no more than 1 time in 10 days, it is possible less often.
Harvesting and storage
Due to the density of the heads, the crop can be harvested by hand or mechanically. Harvesting heads is usually carried out after the first autumn frosts. If you collect them earlier, the shelf life will be reduced. Cabbage cut with a sharp knife and folded so that the upper leaves are not damaged. At the same time it is necessary to remove the rest of the tops with rhizome.
Collecting heads is carried out after the first autumn frosts. If you collect them earlier, the shelf life will be reduced
The harvest is perfectly stored at a temperature of +1 ° and humidity in the range of 90-95%. The use of cabbage varieties Moscow Late Universal. It is suitable for fresh food, pickling, pickling.
Reviews of gardeners about cabbage variety Moscow Late
Opinions of gardeners about cabbage varieties Moscow Late, can be studied below.
- Lyubov Kvitchinska: I didn’t know firsthand the Moscow cabbage. I cultivated it for many years until I “got acquainted” with more modern hybrids. supports growing under heads of cabbages. It grows on a long head of cabins, the head itself is large so it can fall to the ground, break under its weight. Also, with frequent rains, heads of cabbages crack and then poorly stored. ".
- Stanislav Belyaev: “I grow Moscow Late cabbage every year for storage. It grows well, it hurts almost nothing. The taste of cabbage, which has already lodged, is pleasant and juicy. It lies without problems until April in the basement. I have not found a more profitable variety in cultivation. Of course, similar analogues, but they either suffer from taste, or suffer from everything that they can. "
- Yana Kurys: "Moscow Late 15 is a decent old variety of cabbage. It is always in high demand. I grow it for more than 5 years. Every year I learn something new, but without a doubt only one thing - quality care is necessary for the variety. Weeding, watering, hilling, top dressing is a foundation for getting a good harvest. Also, a couple of times a year may require treatment from pests, and the variety is sick in rare cases, because it has strong immunity "