Bazhena is a hybrid form of large grape. It is valued especially by those winegrowers who are oriented towards the sale of the harvest. Grapes of Bazhena gives beautiful clusters with sweet, fragrant berries of white color. This article presents the characteristics of the variety Bazhena and the method of its cultivation.
Description of the variety Bazhena
The table hybrid of Bazhen was created by the Ukrainian breeder V. V. Zagorulko. To obtain a new species, he took as a basis two famous varieties - "Arcadia" and "Gift of Zaporozhye". Grapes Bazhena refers to the early ripe hybrids. Berries ripen in 100-110 days. Bushes do not grow quickly, the growth of the vine for the year - 2-4 meters, but at the same time it matures by 92%. The flowers are bisexual, so pollination by bees is not necessary.
The table hybrid of Bazhen was created by the Ukrainian breeder V. V. Zagorulko
Clusters can reach a mass of 700-1500 g, and when normalized grapes - 2.5 kg. They are shaped like an elongated cone, up to 40 cm in length. The berries are very large, beautiful, 20-25 g each. The shape of the egg is ovoid with an elongated spout. The skin is yellow-green, dense. The flesh is fleshy, juicy. The taste is simple but harmonious, without nutmeg. Ripe berries can have notes of cherries, apples or pears in flavor or taste.Important! After full ripening, the Bazhen grapes can be yellow green or just light green. This is alarming for many buyers. However, even the green berries, ripened grapes of Bazhen, have a rich, sweet taste!
Characteristics of grapes BaizhenRead also these articles.
- How and what to feed ducklings from birth
- Rabbits of breed White Giant
- Gooseberry variety Kolobok
- Breed of Charolais cows
The characteristic qualities of the Bazhen grape, distinguishing it from other varieties and hybrids, are presented below.
The flowers are bisexual, so that the pollination by bees is not necessary
- Early ripening.
- Pollination average.
- Hearing is rarely observed.
- Berries do not crack when overripe.
- Grapes tolerate temperature and humidity drops.
- Resistance to frost down to -22 degrees.
- Productivity is high. From a bush for a season about 25-35 kg of bunches gather.
- Clusters are suitable for transportation over long distances.
- Commercial quality is high.
- The sugar content of 17-19% with an acidity of 6-8 g / l.
Thanks to these qualities, the Bazhene hybrid is in great demand among winegrowers in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus and Moldova.
The shape of the egg is ovoid with an elongated spout. The flesh is fleshy, juicy
Features of planting varieties
It is possible to grow table grapes of Bazhena exclusively on a sunny plot on the south side. With a lack of sunlight to get big, sweet berries will not work even with abundant dressings! Land can be any, most importantly fertilized. The groundwater level must be low, otherwise the root system may suffer from stagnant water and the plant will not be able to fully develop.Important! After planting the Bazhen grapes, the first large crop can be expected for 2-3 years.
Planting grapes Baena best when the bush is at rest. The pit for planting is done with a diameter of 80 cm on average, and a depth of 75-80 cm. The distance between the pits is 1.5-3 meters. If the groundwater level is high, it is necessary to equip the drainage system and pour a little soil over it. The roots of the bush before planting inspect for the presence of pests, rot, other diseases. Very long roots are recommended to shorten. Some gardeners process their growth stimulant.
It is necessary to plant table grapes of Bazhen exclusively on a sunny plot on the south side.
Land for planting is fertilized with humus (compost), superphosphate in combination with potassium sulfate. If the land is not fertilized, the survival rate of the bushes will decrease. Grapes are planted very carefully so that the root system is not damaged. After planting, the ground is compacted with hands, watered and, if necessary (if the ground has settled), you can still fill up the soil.
Caring for grapes BaenaWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to care for turkeys
- Graft pruner
- Canned Peaches
- Why does not bloom geranium
In the care of Bazhena undemanding. To obtain a normal harvest, you must comply with the main activities.
- A support is installed under each bush. It should be made of high-quality material so as not to fall under the weight of the vine.
- Watering is carried out with a frequency - 1 time in 3-7 days. During the pouring of berries, watering is needed more frequent, but after that when the berries reached their final size and began to pour sugar, water makes less, so that the taste is not watery. 1-2 weeks before harvest, you can generally stop watering the crop.
- Mulching is optional, but desirable. This grape variety consumes a lot of liquid, and mulching saves water. As mulch, you can choose peat, humus or straw. Sometimes used and sawdust.
- Feed for the season do several times. Before flowering and after the fall of the buds make NPK complex. When the fruit ripens, only potassium and phosphorus are added. The easiest way to do root and foliar, liquid fertilizer - they are faster and better absorbed. If organic is applied, then it can simply be embedded in the ground when it is loosened. The best time to add organic matter is September or October (before wintering). Wood ash, as a fertilizer and insect prevention, can be scattered between rows in spring and summer.
Shelter grapes for the winter is required in all regions except the southernIt is important! If there are a lot of leaves on a grape bush and they shade the clusters from the sun, it is worth thinning them. But not all the leaves are cleaned and not most of them, but only those that close the berries from sunlight.
- Pruning should be done on 8-10 buds - if the bush is cut very strongly, it will be restored for a long time.
- Shelter for the winter is required in all regions except the south. If the climate is warm, then there is no need to warm the vineyard, but if the temperature can drop below -22 degrees, it is better not to risk it. Bottom zone in the fall should be mulched with straw or peat 25-30 cm, the ground part of the bush is covered with insulating material. This can be done by bending the vine to the ground or simply covering the bush. In winter, whenever possible, snow is attacked by the plant, which is also an excellent “blanket” from frost.
With proper care, the vineyard gives great, high-quality yields.
Diseases and pests variety Bazhena
The Bazhena hybrid exhibits sustained immunity to many fungal infections (mildew and phylloxera do not get sick with proper care in general). If prophylactic treatments with fungicides are carried out 2-3 times a year, problems with illnesses will never arise. Of the drugs that are recommended by gardeners, we can distinguish "Topaz", "Falcon", "Strobe", "Skor".
Drugs that are recommended for grape diseases
Soft leaves and sweet berries attract many pests. Very often bushes inhabit slugs, aphids, ticks, and birds spoil the birds and wasps. What to do with them? Problems with pests in the cultivation of grapes Bazhena appear in 9 cases out of 10, no matter what prevention was carried out. But, in order to minimize losses, you can use insecticides like Actellic, Fufanon, Zolon to treat bushes, and use special nets for grapes or scares, baits from wasps and birds.
Harvesting and processing
Harvesting is carried out from late July to mid-August. It is worth picking up clusters immediately after ripening. At this time, the berries are already sugary and crunchy. If you overdo them on the vine, the skin will become harsh, and the flesh will be very soft, their keeping quality and transportability will decrease.Important! The grapes of Buzena can be stored on the vine for a long time and do not crumble, but it is better to collect the grapes immediately after ripening.
Bunches should be collected immediately after ripening.
Harvest is most often used for fresh food. You can use berries and for the preparation of summer desserts, juice, preservation. But for making wine, these grapes are usually not selected.
Reviews on the grape variety of Bazhena
As can be seen from the description, the Bazhen grape is a worthy representative of the species. But what is the opinion of gardeners about this hybrid.
- Alexander Melnik: "In my area, Bazhena ripens 1.5 weeks earlier than Arcadia, which grows with it in the neighborhood. The clusters are large, the berries are also large, very tasty. The variety pleases with the uniformity of ripening of the shoots, not very fast growth (fewer pruning problems). Bole for 5 years of growing no more than 2 times, but after making fungicides he quickly recovered. With pests, problems sometimes arise, but with all types of grapes - you just need to do preventive treatments.
- Alena Mokhova: "I planted Bazhena grapes 3 years ago. Last summer I gathered my first crop. It wasn’t hard for a bush, I left it on bushes 3 clusters - for trial. Taste, quality of harvest is more than satisfied. Grapes are sweet, big - in the future I’ll probably sell them. He doesn’t need any special attention - pruning, watering, feeding.
- Mikhail Voloshko: “When I first tried Bazhen’s grapes, I immediately ordered a couple of bushes for planting. I’ve been growing for 4 years. It has been fighting with berries and taste, though not muscat, but very sweet, which table grapes should be! - the whole family eats with a big appetite. Next year I will plant 3 more bushes. "