In gardening and horticulture drip tape is often used. Among modern methods of irrigation of the site, drip lena is in the greatest demand, as it is characterized by simplicity, efficiency and long service life. What constitutes a drip tape, what kinds of it exist, is described in this article.
What is drip tape
Drip tape is a system used for watering a plot. It is a simple tape with holes that can be connected to the water supply. When the tape is laid out, open the valve and through the holes the water seeps into the ground. It can be used in closed, open ground, for watering trees, shrubs, and garden crops.
Drip tape is a system used for watering a plot.
Drip tape quickly pays for its cost, as it is easy to use, economical and efficient. In the drip irrigation system, it occupies a leading position. Produced by different manufacturers, with certain characteristics, so that the choice is to carefully examine its quality.
Types of drip tapesRead also these articles.
- Tomato variety Banana legs
- Rabbits of breed Flandr
- Quail Pharaoh
- Early peach varieties
On sale you can find three types of drip tapes. Namely:
- emitter drip tape.
Drip tapes differ in diameter, thickness and dropper pitch
Each species has its own specific characteristics, so it is worth understanding them in more detail. In addition, drip tapes differ in diameter, thickness and pitch of droppers.Important! When choosing a drip tape, it is important to consider not only its appearance, but also the diameter, thickness and pitch between the holes. And if the system is purchased for a large area, it is worth paying attention to the water consumption.
Drip Tape Labyrinth
A kind of labyrinth drip tape is different in that the labyrinth channel is made in the material, which slows down the flow of water, normalizes its quantity.
- When unwinding and during use, it is easy to damage the labyrinth water channel.
- To tape worked and not clogged, it should be laid so that the water outlet was on top. But it's not easy to do.
- Water is not evenly distributed.
Photo of Drip Tape Maze
Dripline maze is currently obsolete. Its main advantage is cheapness, but many problems can arise during the work. Among the popular manufacturers need to highlight Orient. The labyrinth is usually used for irrigation for one season, as a year later the tape dries, deteriorates, quickly clogs.
Crevice drip tape
This type is distinguished by the fact that a branched canal is mounted inside the rubber tape, slowing down the water supply rate. Water outlets are usually made with a laser. A crevice tape for drip irrigation supplies water more evenly than a maze tape. It is easy to wind and lay out on the site, besides water consumption is significantly reduced.
- For such a tape, it is necessary to use water that has passed the filtration, as large particles can get stuck in it. Plus the fact that water filtration can be installed directly on this tape.
- The cost of the slotted tape depends on the pitch of the droppers (the distance between them).
Photo of Slit drip tape Unifer and T-tapeInteresting! In modern slotted tapes there are self-cleaning systems.
Famous manufacturers: Unifer, T-Tape, HIRRO, Neo Drip, Silver Drip, Garden tools, Garden line.
Emitter Drip TapeWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Pine Jam
- Giovanni grape variety
- Variety of cabbage Megaton F1
- Hyacinth flower
Emitter tape for drip irrigation is the most modern type and differs from other options in that it has separate, flattened droppers. They are embedded in the tape at a certain distance from each other. The tape is resistant to contamination due to special turbulent flows that clean the dropper.
Photo Emitter Drip Tape Neo Drip
- High price.
- If improper unwinding, installation, you can damage the tape.
The greatest demand is emitter tape Neo Drip, Hirro Drip, Pestan.
There are two standard diameter droplet tape, namely:
- 16 mm - The most popular option for a small garden or garden. However, its application must take into account that the irrigation line cannot be more than 250 m, otherwise the irrigation uniformity will be disturbed.
- 22 mm It is used much less often, but it provides a uniform water supply with a length of up to 450 m.
When choosing the diameter of the tape for drip irrigation, it is necessary to consider their own needs. The larger the area that needs watering, the longer it will take to tape. And on the length of the tape and calculate the required diameter.
Photo drip tape 16mm
Drip tape thickness
Tapes for drip irrigation differ not only in type and diameter, but also in thickness. Thickness affects the strength of the device, its durability.
- 5 mil - the thinnest tape, recommended only for annual crops, greenery, seedlings. It should not be used in the presence of sharp stones, sticks on the ground or if the water is polluted.
- 6 mil - recommended for use on normal ground, without large, rough stones, irregularities. Suitable for watering perennial crops.
- 8 mil - universal tape for drip irrigation. Resistant to mechanical damage, easy to assemble and disassemble, can be used for a wide variety of crops.
- 10 mil and 12 mil - durable drip tape that can be used on stony ground. They are not afraid of insects, sharp sticks, because they can withstand quite large mechanical loads. Suitable for years of use.
- 15 mil - the thickest drip tape. It is recommended for problem areas with an abundance of stones, irregularities. It is also often chosen if rodents are found in the area.
8 mil - universal tape for drip irrigation
Other tape thickness is also possible, these are only standard types that are most often found on sale.It is important! It is not recommended to buy a drop tape with a thickness of 5 mil for more than 1 season. They quickly dry up, deteriorate, fail, but are ideal for growing seedlings.
The choice of the thickness of the tape and its varieties should be based on the time of the intended use, location and features of operation. It should be borne in mind that any tape needs careful handling. And after the end of the season, it must be cleaned, dried, twisted and put away for storage.
Step drip tapes
Before you buy a tape for irrigation, you need not only to choose its type, diameter and thickness, but also the pitch of the drip tape. Depending on how far the plants are planted from each other, the distance between the droppers is chosen.
For plants that are planted close, the tape is taken with a small step, and for those that are located far from each other - with a large one. Also it is necessary to take into account the type of land (on sandy soil you need more water), climate, type of landing (single row, two row).
- Step 10, 15, 20 cm recommended for closely growing plants such as garlic, onions, spinach and dill, and those crops that consume a lot of water (raspberries, for example). Also such tape get for the sandy earth or if it is necessary to receive the continuous line of watering.
- 30 cm step suitable for crops like peppers, tomatoes, cucumbers, potatoes, strawberries that grow on loam or sandy loam soil.
- Step 40 cm it is convenient only when watering plants located at a considerable distance (pumpkin, zucchini, watermelons).
It is better to calculate in advance the necessary step between the holes of the tape and buy the option that fits perfectly. If there are doubts, it is worth taking a drop tape with a smaller step, and not with a big one. Water consumption when it is used in any case is reduced, even if the water will fall not only under the crop, but simply on the ground. And you can not worry that some plants were left without water.