White cabbage is a healthy vegetable used in the preparation of a wide variety of dishes. If you have your own garden, it is not difficult to grow yourself. Sugar-head cabbage is valued for its yield and excellent taste. A detailed description of the variety and its characteristics are presented in this article.
Late variety. Cabbage Sugar Loins ripen in 140-150 days. The socket is powerful, grows sprawling, with a diameter of up to 80 cm. The height of the culture is about 40 cm. The leaves are large, rounded in shape, slightly wavy along the edge. The color is green (upper leaves of a more saturated color), there is a gray patina. The outer stalk is short, the inner one is medium.
Sugar head color is green, the upper leaves are more saturated color
The heads of a spherical shape, smooth, beautiful. Cabbage weight Sugar Loaf about 3.5 kg. But there are also larger specimens. In the context of white forks, very juicy, crisp. After the harvest, the cobers are put to ripen and only after 1-2 months they begin to be eaten. At this point, they acquire a pleasant, sweetish taste.Interesting! Sugar Loaf Cabbage was registered in the West Siberian region of Russia in 2008. Since then, it has become the favorite variety of many vegetable gardens.
Characteristic cabbage Sugar LoafRead also these articles.
- Animal silo
- Masking of tomatoes in the greenhouse
- Peach Redhaven
- Green Tomatoes with Garlic
Thanks to many positive qualities, this cabbage is chosen for planting by many gardeners, but it also has disadvantages. So what are the characteristics of a variety?
- The grade of universal appointment, is suitable for the fresh use, a fermentation, salting.
- Seeds germinate quickly and amicably.
- It is immune to keel, bacteriosis, fusarium.
- There is a tendency to cracking.
In the context of white forks, very juicy, crisp
- Productivity is average, stable. You can collect about 6 kg of cabbage per season per square.
- Commercial quality is high.
- Heads are suitable for transportation over long distances. On the way, cabbage does not deteriorate, does not crumple, does not lose its commercial qualities.
- The harvest can be stored for many months, until May.
The name "Sugar Loaf" was given to the variety for a reason. The reason is that in the composition of this cabbage about 1.5 times more sugars than in other later varieties. It really has a sweetish taste that improves as it is stored.Interesting! Sugar Loaf contains a lot of B, C vitamins, minerals, nicotinic acid.
Features of cabbage planting
The Sugarloaf is usually grown by the seedling method, because the variety is late, and it already takes a lot of time to ripen. Sowing seeds for seedlings is carried out around April. Sow the seeds in large containers with nutrient primer. The distance between the seeds of 5 cm is desirable to comply with accuracy. After sowing, the ground is sprayed out of a spray bottle and covered with a film. At a temperature of + 16 ... +18 degrees, the seeds will quickly germinate.
After the appearance of 4-6 leaves, seedlings can be transplanted to a permanent place in the open ground. This time usually falls on the middle of May or the beginning of June. But before planting, it is recommended to harden the seedlings for 1-2 weeks. To do this, it 1-2 times a day is taken out onto the street, a balcony or just open a window. Initially, the period of stay in the fresh air should be 15-30 minutes, but every day it is extended for another half an hour.
Cabbage is grown Sugarloaf is usually the seedling methodInteresting! The best predecessors of cabbage on the site are pumpkin crops, potatoes, legumes or perennial herbs.
Planting sprouts in a permanent place is held in fertilized, loose soil. The ideal option is loam with low acidity. A hole is made for each plant, it is poured with water and then it is planted. They are planted in such a way that there is 60 cm of free space between neighboring plants. It is impossible to plant cabbage of this variety more densely, because it has a spreading, big rosette! The seedlings are sunk to the first leaf, then the roots are well sprinkled with earth.
Planted seedlings should be left to take root for 1-2 weeks. At this time, except for loosening the soil and watering it does not need anything.
Cabbage Care Sugar LoafWe recommend reading our other articles.
- Autumn apple varieties
- Soybean meal
- Flower Qarantus
- Tomato Bull Heart
For any crop you need to properly care for, to collect large yields and cabbage. Sugarloaf is no exception.
- Watering is rare (1 time per week or less), but abundant, as this variety is prone to cracking. During the formation of the head of water you need to make more often, and a month before the harvest, watering is reduced to a minimum. With frequent rain culture is not watered at all!
- Feeding is carried out approximately 2-3 times during the whole season, with equal intervals of time. It is best to use a solution of liquid manure concentrate according to the instructions indicated on the fertilizer label.
- Hilling is necessary for the culture to have a stronger, stronger root. Hilling is carried out after the appearance of 12-15 leaves.
It is important to loosen the ground under the cabbage so that it does not come in a lump
- It is important to loosen the ground under the cabbage regularly so that it is not taken lumpy. During loosening, all weeds are destroyed.
- Sick head cabbage Sugar rarely. If this happens, it is necessary to treat it with strong fungicides, for example, Previkur, Topsin-M, Rovral.
- Pests love this variety, so that they can not do without treatments. For prevention, you can simply sprinkle wood ash on the cabbages. And for purposeful pest control they use the insecticides Atom, Borei, Proklaim, Senpai, and Lightning.
Harvesting and storage of the crop
Harvesting is carried out in September or a little later, although experts recommend waiting until 2 freezing. When it passes, you can start cleaning. It is believed that the cabbage thus harvested has a sweeter, richer taste.
At the collected cabbage remove the upper leaves and put it to dry. Putting wet cabbage on storage is impossible, otherwise it will quickly rot! Then the heads are examined for damage, disease, pests. All spoiled copies are stored in a separate basket. Good cabbage sorted by size and also laid out on the packaging for storage.
At the collected cabbage, remove the top leaves and put it to dry.
The storage space for the plugs is chosen dry, dark and with well-adjusted ventilation. Storage temperature -1 ... +4 degrees, humidity - 90-95%. When creating the proper conditions, cabbage Sugar Loaf can be stored until spring. At the same time, its taste qualities do not deteriorate, the upper leaflets can only turn yellow or become sluggish, but this is normal for any variety during long-term storage.
Reviews of gardeners about the cabbage variety Sugar Loaf
According to the description, cabbage Sugar Loaf has a high taste, commodity qualities and in cultivation does not cause difficulties, but what is the opinion of gardeners about this variety.
- Valeria Werner: “About the cabbage variety Sugar Loaf learned from a friend and began to grow it itself. Among the later species, this is the best option - fruitful, easy to clean, tasty. I pick heads in late September, the average weight is 2.5-3 kg, although in the description of the variety 3.5, but this, as for me, is a good result. Externally, the head looks neat, dense. It is stored without problems, but since I grow it in small quantities, we have time to eat it until January. "
- Natalya Glebova: “I have been growing Sugarloaf variety for sale for more than 5 years. Cabbage is excellent, it always gives a big crop, it pleases with a presentation, but it can crack. Crop is stored until May, so there is profit throughout the winter. On the market, it is often chosen as a pleasant taste and versatility. It is tasty fresh, but also suitable for fermentation. "
- Artem Akundov: “My whole family loves cabbage. We eat it in different dishes, fresh or processed. Sugar head varieties chose only because it is resistant to many diseases. The plants barely get sick, if you provide the right care, and the taste is not bad. Keep harvest in the cellar, in the nets. The cabbage doesn’t spoil much, and still we sort it out once a month, just in case. I can recommend both experienced gardeners and amateurs. "