Peony roses were bred at the end of the last century by David Austin. People call them Austin roses. This is a very beautiful, lush flowers that are often planted in flower beds, along the paths, in gardens and in the backyard area. Their popularity is due to the variety of colors, unpretentious care and strong immunity.
Types of peony roses
Peony roses are not officially a species yet, however they have certain features due to which flower growers distinguish them into a separate group.
Peony roses photo
- The rapid growth of the plant.
- Pompon-shaped, rosette or cupped flower shape.
- Resistance to many diseases.
There are many different varieties of peony roses. Most often they are combined in color:
- pink varieties;
- Red roses.
In addition, roses of this type can grow a bush or trail around the hedges. Climbing species of peony roses are very few, but you can find and by their characteristics they are not inferior to bush species.
The best varieties of peony rosesRead also these articles.
- How to grow zucchini
- Breed Rhode Island
- Strawberry Compote Recipes
- The best varieties of large plums
Today, there are about 200 of the most diverse varieties of peony roses. Depending on the climatic zone, the growers grow some roses of Austin. Some varieties are grown in warm climates, others easily endure frosts and are therefore popular in the northern regions, and some are generally intended only for greenhouses.
Types of peony roses
- "Miranda" - variety bred in 2005. It grows a bush up to one and a half meters. Flowers solitary. The inner part of the flower is bright pink, and the petals, which are closer to the outer edge, are light, almost white. Their smell is faint but pleasant. Flowering is observed twice a year.
Types of peony roses
- "Claire Austin" stands out for its stunning, strong aroma. Bush height of one and a half meters and a width of about one meter. Buds produces plant 2 times a year. Cream flowers, with a diameter of 10 cm on average, are collected in inflorescences of 2-3 things.
- "Constance Spry" - variety obtained in 1961. It is a climbing peony rose about 6 meters high. Bush width an average of 3 meters, but it depends on the characteristics of trimming. Pagons have spikes, small but often located. The leaves are large, hard. Flowers grow with a diameter of 14 cm, in inflorescences of 4-6 pieces. The fragrance is thinned strong.
Types of peony roses
- "Graham Thomas" was launched in 1983. It is considered unique and one of the best works of David Austin. Bush 1.2 meters, and in hot countries can grow up to 3 meters. Flowers grow 12 cm in diameter, in the inflorescences of 3-5 pieces, yellow. The aroma is pleasant, tangible, but not very pronounced. It blooms 2 times, but the abundance of buds is observed only in the first flowering.
- "Tranquility" - A variety that appeared recently, in 2012. Few people have already managed to test it in cultivation. Bush grows to 1.2 meters. Almost no thorns. Buds are collected in brushes of 3-5 pieces. They have a yellowish tint, but when ripe mature. Flowering re.
- "Golden Celebration" differs in huge flowers with a diameter of 16 cm. The color is golden yellow. The aroma is delicate, strongly pronounced. Flowering plant throughout the summer.
- "Munstead Wood" grows in a small bush up to a meter in height and up to 0.6 m in width. Flowers in inflorescences of 5 pieces maximum. They are medium in size with velvet petals. Color changes as the flower develops. Initially, it is light red, but darkens with time, becoming almost black and red.
Propagation of peony rose
Most often, this rose propagated by cuttings. You can cut or buy cuttings yourself if you don’t have a mother plant. They are usually cut before winter and kept at home in a cool place, wrapped in damp paper. When callus appears on one end of the cuttings and the buds grow, the cuttings are planted in pots and transplanted to a suitable place in the garden in summer.
Pruning roses are usually pruned in the spring before sap flow begins.
If the cuttings were purchased in the spring, they do not have to be kept in the newspaper. One side is simply dipped into a growth stimulator, and then immersed in a loose, nutritious soil, and the top is covered with a can or a cut off plastic bottle to form a greenhouse. When the plant goes into growth, you can remove the bottle.
Small, developed bushes of this type of roses can be bought online or in garden stores, on the market. They just plant. They are much faster than cuttings go to growth and delight their flowering in the shortest possible time.
Very often these roses are planted. The stock can be a dog rose loose, or a steppe rose, as it is called by the people. In summer, budding is usually carried out on a T-shaped stock. The kidney is neatly fixed in the bark section and wrapped so as not to dislodge. From the sun and rain, as well as a strong wind is best to come up with some kind of protection. And it will be possible to remove it only when a new pagon starts growing from the kidney.
Growing peony rosesWe recommend reading our other articles.
- How to feed a currant?
- Breed geese Legart
- Sprouting grapes cuttings
- Temperature modes of quail eggs incubation at home
For the successful cultivation of peony roses you need to find a suitable place.
The best time for planting is the middle or the end of spring.
- Illumination should be moderate. Austin's roses can be grown in partial shade, but not in bright sun. 3 sunny hours a day is enough for this species, but without sunlight in general, it will not give flowers.
- The land fits loose, nutritious and well drained.
- If necessary, the acidity of the soil decreases, because the acidic environment is not suitable for this culture.
- The groundwater level should be low.
Before planting, fertilizers are applied to the ground, most often horse humus, because it is best absorbed by plants. An alternative may be simple compost. For planting a small bush it is necessary to make a hole 50 cm deep and one meter wide. Drainage is placed on the bottom and a hill of fertile soil above.Important! Planting Austin roses is possible only in well-fertilized soil. If the soil is poor, there are few nutrients, the plant will take root for a very long time, if at all!
The bush is placed on the hill of the earth and its roots work well out. The pit is gradually filled up with earth, so that the depth of immersion of the rose is within 10 cm, this can save it from severe winter frosts. Plants near peony roses can be planted only at a distance of half a meter or even a meter, for those varieties that are notable for their pomp.
Immediately after planting, the bushes or cuttings should be plentifully watered with warm water. Pristvolny circle is recommended to mulch, and then leave the plant taken for 1-2 weeks. When it becomes noticeable that the plant has gone to growth, you need to begin to fully care for him.
Care for peony rose bushes is not too complicated.
- Land under the peonies should always be a little moist. Some varieties tolerate an abundance of moisture, but this plant does not like drought. Based on this, as well as climatic conditions, the time of year selects the optimal irrigation schedule.
- Mulch can reduce the amount of watering and also inhibit the growth of weeds. For roses, peat, crushed bark, wood chips, fallen leaves or coniferous needles are suitable as mulch. You can also buy decorative stone, pebbles, coarse sand for mulching the earth.
- Top dressings bring not earlier, than for 2 year after landing. Depending on the season, you can use different tools. In the spring to activate growth - a complex fertilizer for roses, at the beginning of July - nitrogenous substances, and during the formation of buds - potash-phosphorus mixtures.
- Some varieties need comfort for the development of the bush, otherwise pagons, under the weight of buds, will fall directly to the ground.
- Pruning is carried out in spring and summer to form a bush of normal shape. But there are no special rules. Florist can choose the desired shape of the bush and stick to it or change if you want something new. But sanitary pruning is carried out annually in the fall.
- Pests and diseases on Austin roses are very rare. This usually happens when plants near are severely affected. In this case, a strong insecticide or fungicide can be used for spraying, depending on what the bush is affected with.
- Rose Austin is considered an unpretentious plant, and yet not all varieties tolerate frosts. If the variety is not frost resistant, it is necessary to warm it for the winter. In some cases, the bush is completely covered on top of the insulating material, and the root zone at 25-30 cm mulch opiski, foliage or peat.
Peony roses - decoration for any site. They grow beautiful bushes or weave, have a strong immune system and at the same time bloom with large, lush flowers of a wide variety of colors. Today it is one of the most popular types of roses, especially considering the varietal diversity and simplicity in the care.